Networks – Network Services Engineer
Job Title Network Services Engineer
Company Avanti Communications Group Plc
Location Goonhilly, Cornwall
Reporting to Network Engineering and Design Manager
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements.
Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
Main duties and responsibilities
We are looking for a Network Services Engineer based at our Ground Earth Station in Goonhilly, Cornwall, whose objectives are to ensure maximum network availability and performance, and to support both external and internal customers.
The primary responsibility of this role is the day to day operation of Avanti’s network infrastructure, which is a multi-vendor environment including Juniper and Procera.
- Provide customer-facing 3rd level support for remote wireless and satellite equipment;
- Build, configure, test & maintain core, provider and customer edge networks;
- Assist with the design, scope and implementation of new network solutions for upcoming projects;
- Ensure maximum network & service availability through proactive maintenance/monitoring;
- Support in-house operational support systems;
- Document designs, configurations, and procedures for system and network administration;
- Support training and certifying of Virtual Network Operators
- Support routine system management tasks
Skills and qualifications required
- Demonstrable experience of Cisco and Juniper solutions (routers, switches, firewalls, IPS), including network design, configuration, and troubleshooting
- A minimum of three years working with the Juniper product range.
- Demonstrable experience of ISP bandwidth and subscriber management products;
- ISP/telco experience, preferably with remote wireless networks;
- Vendor/industry accreditations;
- Ability and willingness to work occasionally long hours under pressure;
- A computer science degree or equivalent accreditation;
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skills;
- Should have an excellent degree of competency in technical areas: Networking Protocols/Services BGP, OSPF, IPSec, GRE, HSRP/VRRP, CGNAT, VPLS/MPLS, QoS, Multicast;
- Experience of Juniper MX, SRX, ISG and EX series devices
- Excellent traffic/packet analysis skills
- Familiarity with open source tools such as Nagios, splunk, graphite, Grafana
- Proficient in the use of JunosSpace product suite
- Experience of shell scripting;
- Experience/knowledge of web acceleration/ compression/ caching technologies, e.g. WCCP;
- Previous experience with Windows system administration and use of the Office software;
- Experience of SDN and NFV
- Previous experience of working with an MNO supporting RAN, Core/EPC, and VoLTE would be an advantage.
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.
The company operates 24×7 services and this role is required to participate in the on-call rota to support out of office hours emergency support and routine maintenance.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.