Networks – Satellite Hub Solutions Engineer
Job Title Satellite Hub Solutions Engineer
Company Avanti Communications Group PLC
Location Cobham House
Reporting to Satellite Hub Engineering Manager
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements.
Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
Main duties and responsibilities
- Ensure maximum network & service availability through proactive maintenance/monitoring;
- Provide customer-facing 2nd and 3rd line support for satellite equipment, legacy remote wireless, and in-house operations support systems;
- Provision of customer network services on core equipment;
- Provide support services for service design, transition, and operations;
- Frequently update Satellite Hub Manager of the Hubs’/NOCs’ status;
- Continuous analysis of Hub infrastructure to identify service improvements to enhance customer experience.
Skills and qualifications required
- Excellent understanding of Satellite Communications, VSAT technology, and RF equipment;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Satellite Hub Management and Operations;
- Operational experience of Gilat systems;
- Operational experience of Newtec systems;
- Operational experience of iDirect systems;
- Operational experience of Hughes Network Systems;
- Network Operations Centre experience within a Satellite Communications or ISP environment;
- Willingness to work occasional long hours under pressure in geographically dispersed locations;
- Ability to successfully apply skills and experience to master new hub technology to become technical subject matter expert;
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skill.
- A telecommunications or computer science degree;
- Practical experience with Gilat and Newtec or iDirect or Hughes Network systems;
- Knowledge of network engineering methodologies, LAN/WAN technologies, Internet protocols and applications;
- Basic Linux systems administration experience including shell scripting;
- Familiarity with open source tools such as Nagios, Cacti/RRDtool/MRTG;
- Previous experience with Windows system administration and use of the Office software suite;
- CCNA or equivalent qualified.
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.
The company operates a 365 x 24×7 services so the successful candidate will be required to participate in the on-call rota and an extended-hours shift system to support out of office hours emergency support, routine maintenance.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.