Networks – Software Engineer
Job title Software Engineer
Company Avanti Communications Group PLC
Reporting to Head of OSS/BSS Development
Avanti is a world leader in satellite data communications. It pioneered the use of high throughput satellites at the Ka-band frequencies. Major organisations are now using Avanti’s network for cellular backhaul, IP trunking, complex government and enterprise networks and video services, as well as broadband.
Avanti has developed a reputation for creating proprietary Operational Support Systems (OSS) and business critical applications in a wide variety of technology areas. The OSS also automates many business processes.
We are looking for a full-stack Software Engineer based at our central London office, to join a team of dedicated people. The software engineering team is responsible for the development and support of OSS ecosystem and its integration with many Network Management systems and Web portals. We are a group of passionate engineers who believe in using the right tool for the task, not language as-a-religion. Our current systems are built using PHP, Python, and Java along with a host of open source tools and systems.
Job Description and responsibilities
We are looking for an engineer who can turn ideas into quality code. To be successful in this role you will:
- Develop full stack solutions using primarily PHP on Linux around MariaDB and Redis
- Participate in the Daily Scrum with the Agile Development Team
- Work with the Product Owner to write User Stories that ensure robustness, redundancy, and scalability
- Contribute to solve business problems and provide exceptional customer experience
- Design and write software using object-oriented techniques
- Write and execute unit tests and automated acceptance tests
- Research, design, and prototype with Spikes and Refactor Stories
- Participate in retrospective discussions to help continuously improve our methods
- Innovate by enthusiastically participating in personal innovation projects and patent harvesting activities
- Help identify and troubleshoot complex production issues in the customer-facing environment
- Continually populate a knowledge repository with design summaries, takeaways, techniques, and tutorials
- Have strong understanding of SOLID principle and design patterns.
- Be comfortable not just to work with other software Engineers but also with engineers from other departments like Product, Sales, and Satellite Operations, Space Engineering and Network operations centre.
Skills and qualifications required
- Experience in PHP 5.4 and higher
- Experience in using PHP frameworks (Symfony2/Zend framework2/ CakePHP etc.)
- Experience of RDBMS (MySQL)
- Experience in Elastic search, Redis, MongoDB or Cassandra
- Extensive UI Design experience
- Experience with TDD and BDD
- Experience in developing B2B Gateways and B2C web portals
- Experience with SOAP and REST APIs both as a consumer and producer
- Solid understanding of Linux and Apache
- Experience with Continuous Integration (Jenkins)
- Good knowledge of large-scale, highly scalable, highly available website architectures and technology stacks
- Experience in using source control (Git)
- Strong User Experience design
- BS/MS in Computer Science
- Contributor to the open source projects.
- Experience with PHP software development tools
- Previous experience in Telco OSS/BSS software.
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.