Product – Carrier Pre-Sales Engineer, Africa
Job Title Carrier Pre-Sales Engineer, Africa
Company Avanti Communications Marketing Services Ltd
Reporting to Head of Pre-Sales, Africa
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements. Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE). Avanti has seen rapid growth in its carrier services opportunities with large scale deployments of 4G backhaul over satellite as well as 3G and GSM deployments.
Avanti is a market leader in Mobile Satellite Backhaul applications and is seeking an experienced Pre-Sales engineer in the mobile backhaul sector to support the Carrier Sector Sales Team and the growth of this business. Avanti sees carrier as a primary market and this is also expressed in its participation as Project Coordinator for the SaT5G Project Consortium.
The Project vision is to develop a cost effective “plug and play” satcom solution for 5G to enable telcos and network vendors to accelerate 5G deployment in all geographies and at the same time create new and growing market opportunities for satcom industry stakeholders. It is this continued growth in 4G/LTE and Avanti’s future commitments to the definition of satellite into the 5G standardisation that requires this role to support these opportunity developments with the sales organisation.
Main duties and responsibilities
The position will involve identification and capture of technical requirements, the design of elegant and effective value add solutions and presentation to prospects. Additionally the position involves the preparation of technical responses to RFI/RPS, technical and commercial trail implementation and management,
and post sales implementation documentation, project management assistance to internal functions.
The objective of the role is to providing technical sales support for a variety of oppurtunities Avanti has in the 4G/LTE backhaul markets as well as 3G and GSM backhaul applications over Satellite and help grow this business into new markets.
- Provide Technical Pre-Sales support to Carrier Sales and Business Development teams;
- Provide Techincal Pre-Sales support for the wider Africa Sales and Business Development team for other market verticals;
- Gather and understand prospect requirements;
- Design elegant and effective value add solution propositions;
- Manage technical RFI/RFP responses (content and process);
- Manage technical and commercial trials (content and process);
- Document and communicate customer implementation plan and deliverables to handover to PMO.
- Post sales consultative support may be required from time to time
- Provide market and sales feedback to Product Management and Engineering functions
Skills and qualifications required
- Recognised and appropriate engineering or technical qualification. E.g. BTEC/BEng;
- Track record in operational or pre-sales engineering for a RAN Vendor, Mobile Backhaul or MNO
- Detailed knowledge GSM/3GPP Standards
- Technical working knowledge of IP networking with CCNA or greater equivalent qualification or experience;
- Ability to identify and capture customer technical and operational requirements, using technical expertise to design elegant and effective value add solutions;
- Ability to effectively present solutions to a wide range of prospects, from technical to board level;
- Experience in common desktop productivity tools such as Word, Excel and Outlook, along with strong MS Visio skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English;
- Ability to travel world-wide
- Good understanding of RF and satellite communications, including key concepts such as link budgeting, modulation, VSAT hardware and networking;
- Satellite (VSAT) backhaul experience
- Project Management experience
- Other African Language Skills
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.