Operations – Satellite Communications System Engineer
Job Title Satellite Communications System Engineer
Company Avanti Communications Group PLC (www.avantiplc.com)
Location London, United Kingdom
Reporting to Snr. Satellite Capacity Manager
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data
communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements.
Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
The Satellite Communications System Engineer will hold a technical role within Avanti Communications, based at Avanti Head Office and involved primarily in advanced tools and software fixturing.
A successful candidate will be responsible for undertaking communications systems engineering tasks to support the company’s operational and pre-sales activities; analysis, monitoring, mini project management as part of the responsibilities below and service performance for all of Avanti’s satellite fleet, and overall engineering of end-to-end satellite systems.
They will have a role as an interdepartmental engineering interface, maintaining close relationships with Sales and Pre-Sales, Networks, Gateway, Satellite Operations, Regulatory, Consultancy and Procurement teams, to ensure that service delivery fulfil company and design objectives respectively.
Main Responsibilities and Duties
- Use of advanced operational engineering tools within satellite communications systems, including RF and digital communications;
- Ground Segment Engineering – designing new systems/ equipment and sizing;
- Communications Payload Engineering and software toolset;
- Link budget analysis;
- Transmission planning;
- Signal performance maintainability, incident management and troubleshooting.
- Preparation of operations documentation;
- Participation in relevant operations and procurement (when necessary) reviews and meetings;
- Provide technical consultancy services to Sales and Pre-Sales and make technical representations within and outside the company as it may be required to support sales activities;
- Coordination and planning between Network, Gateway and Satellite Operations for system-wide operations; Occasional on – call duty may be required.
- Design and implementation of control systems to monitor and enhance operational efficiency;
- Development of specifications for operational needs and procurement of adequate design and analysis toolkits for modelling and simulation of end-to-end system performance;
- Maintain awareness of technology trends and assist in the development of new products and services and be able to outline their architectural implementation and support trials.
- Support in Avanti’s current and future capacity and coverage planning together with an aim to enhance/improve Avanti’s Satellite System throughput and efficiency.
Skills and Qualifications required
- 2:1 degree in a related field;
- 2-3 years’ experience in satellite communications systems engineering with knowledge in payload engineering and commanding within the aerospace industry including RF systems design, digital communications, air interface communications standards such as DVB-S2, DVB-RCS;
- Proficiency in link budgeting;
- Strong practical knowledge of systems engineering practices;
- Confidence in working directly with potential customers, suppliers and subcontractors at the technical level;
- Experience developing systems documentation, test plans and procedures, and operational procedures;
- Fluency in English;
- Ability to work independently and effectively, co-coordinating tasks and responsibilities;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Willingness to travel overseas;
- Excellent communications and inter-personal skills (written and verbal);
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Practical experience in the commissioning and testing of satellite systems – satellite and ground based.
- Business awareness and acumen;
- Solid programming/software engineering skills with good knowledge of MATLAB, Visual Basic, and Java programming environments;
- Satellite manufacturer and/or ground segment system engineering experience will be considered as an advantage.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.