Space – Spacecraft Controller
Job Title Spacecraft Controller
Company Avanti Communications Limited
Location Goonhilly, Cornwall
Reporting to Lead Spacecraft Controller
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements.
Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
Avanti is building on this success by constructing a state of the art satellite control centre at its facility in Goonhilly, Cornwall to support the operation of the its expanding satellite fleet.
Main duties and responsibilities
As a member of the Spacecraft Control Team, the successful candidate will help to ensure an efficient and effective team environment. Your tasks will include but not be limited to:
- Carry out satellite control activities including:
- Monitor and control the Avanti fleet of satellites on a 24/7 shift rota
- Carry out satellite commanding using approved flight operations procedures
- Maintain operational activity logs
- Generate periodic reports on spacecraft health and status for distribution to the Spacecraft Operations Engineering team
- Perform routine control system maintenance and backup tasks
- Provide first line response to satellite contingency and escalation to the Spacecraft Operations Engineering team
- Provide support for operations preparation and development during occasional periods of day shifts
- Attend and support the Anomaly Review Board process as required by the Lead Spacecraft Controller
- Assist Ground Systems Engineers in the implementation of satellite control hardware and software
- Implement updates to the satellite control databases
- Validate procedure and database updates using dynamic satellite simulators and production of appropriate validation reports
- Review operational documents originating internally and externally to the company
- Assist in the development of Spacecraft Control Team procedures and processes
- Participate in system verification tests and simulations campaigns in support of new satellite procurement
Share knowledge and expertise including to:
- Assist in the training and development of new colleagues within the Spacecraft Control Team
- Suggest future improvements to spacecraft operations based on experience in role
- Support new satellite procurement as required by the Lead Spacecraft Controller
- Assist in ad hoc tasks as required by the Lead Spacecraft Controller
Skills and Qualifications required
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant technical discipline
- Minimum of 3 years experience in field of Spacecraft Control or Spacecraft Operations Engineering
- Good knowledge of satellite subsystems
- A proven ability to work unsupervised for extended periods
- Attention to detail and a methodical and considered approach
- Knowledge of standard office software products
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in the use of SCOS-2000 or a derivative satellite control system
- Experience in the operation of geostationary satellites
- Understanding of RF communications principles
- Experience in the use of VBA
- Experience in the preparation, validation and use of operational procedures
- Experience in the preparation and delivery of technical training courses
- Experience in the use of dynamic satellite simulators
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.