Avanti launches new âAvanti Connected Educationâ service in Africa
- By 2015, the population of school age children in Sub Saharan Africa will reach 224 million*
- Avanti Connected Education will deliver internet-enabled learning to thousands of children in Africa for less than 10p per child, per day
Avanti Communications will unveil its new education service, Avanti Connected Education at AfricaCom 2014. The service combines technology with teaching skills to address the problem of poor educational outcomes.
Avanti Connected Education is based on three key principles:
1. Connect: In the 21st century no child’s education is complete without the internet;
2. Develop: Every child gets the education they deserve;
3. Sustain: Communities can generate revenue to keep education initiatives running for years to come.
Avanti has deployed a number of education services in Africa, most recently with Project iMlango in Kenya. Avanti leads a consortium in partnership with Department for International Development (DFID) to reach 100,000 children, a quarter of whom are marginalised girls.
At the heart of Project iMlango sits a dynamic internet learning platform, accessed through high-speed satellite connectivity, where partners provide students with interactive educational content. The large-scale project is demonstrating how Avanti’s integrated approach creates a positive and lasting impact on young students and their communities.
Paul Feenan, Director of Avanti Government Services, commented: “Our ‘Connect-Develop-Sustain’ strategy uniquely addresses the numerous challenges facing decision makers within the Education sector across Africa. Our leading Ka-band satellite technology provides a resilient, high-speed and quick-to-deploy solution beyond fibre, capable of meeting long-term socio-economic goals for African education.”
He continued: “Avanti Connected Education presents a compelling opportunity for partners to engage in large scale success stories using CSR budgets.”
For more information:
- Visit the Avanti Connected Education site at: www.avantiplc.com/edu
- Visit Avanti on Stand E14 at AfricaCom (11-13 November)
- Avanti’s Chief Operating Officer, Matthew O’Connor will be part of the ‘Understanding the HTS roadmap for Africa’ panel session (14.50, Wednesday 12th November)
â*Source: Policy Paper 14 / Fact Sheet 28, June 2014. Jointly released by the Education for All Global Monitoring Report (GMR) and the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS)
Notes to Editor
For further information, please contact:
Avanti Communications Tel +44 (0) 20 7749 1600
Tulchan Communications Tel: +44 (0) 20 7353 4200
Redleaf Tel: +44 (0) 20 7382 4747
About Avanti Communications
Avanti is a carriers’ carrier, selling wholesale data telecoms products to service providers which use them to create networks for enterprise, carrier, government and consumer users. Avanti’s network consists of:- two high throughput satellites in orbit, called HYLAS 1 and HYLAS 2; a multiband satellite called Artemis plus a fourth and a fifth satellite in construction called HYLAS 3 and HYLAS 4 and an international fibre network connecting data centres in several countries. Avanti Communications has GEO satellite network spectrum filings in the ITU Master Register for Ka band at 33.5° West and 31.0° East and for Ka, Ku, S and L-band at 21.5° East. Avanti Communications serves customers in Europe, Middle East and Africa.â¨