TelOne signs contract extension with Avanti Communications
- Additional capacity supports 100% universal broadband provision in Zimbabwe
- Avanti’s Ka-band service being scaled to meet ever-increasing demand levels for satellite connectivity across TelOne’s national customer base
Avanti Communications today announced that TelOne, the Zimbabwean national telco, has signed an immediate extension to its major connectivity contract. TelOne will use up-weighted capacity from Avanti’s HYLAS 2 satellite to meet huge demand for satellite broadband services among its consumer, enterprise and public sector customer base.
As Zimbabwe’s sole fixed telecoms services provider, TelOne delivers services to the entire market across Zimbabwe. The provider is deploying Avanti’s satellite connectivity to complement its existing broadband offering across a diverse customer base, largely where communications infrastructure is limited or non-existent.
TelOne’s popular Ka-band satellite broadband offering has already been deployed across the enterprise sector in verticals such as mining; to public sector programmes such as national parks, schools, clinics and hospitals; and directly to consumers and businesses of all sizes. As an example of scale, the provider has signed over 300 schools for high speed broadband connectivity to date.
Chipo Mtasa, Managing Director at TelOne, commented: “We are continuously impressed with Avanti. The company has played an important role in expanding our broadband offering. Our contract has enabled us to address Zimbabwe’s gaping digital divide at pace. Hand-in-hand, we have developed market-leading broadband packages which support our mission of providing universal, affordable internet access in Zimbabwe, thanks to the cost-effective and high quality Ka-band satellite service.
She continued: “Satellite continues to play a huge role in bringing communities, businesses and public sector organisations online. Increased bandwidth capacity will enable rapid broadband rollout, finally addressing demand that for so long has remained unmet.”
Matthew O’Connor, Chief Operating Officer at Avanti Communications, commented: “We are delighted to grow our contract with such an important telco in Zimbabwe. With high levels of quality and flexibility built-in to Avanti’s technology and commercial offering, we can provide our partners with a unique and competitive satellite advantage. TelOne’s rapid deployment of nationwide broadband has brought 100% availability to Zimbabwe.”
Notes to Editor
- TelOne is Zimbabwe’s sole fixed telecommunication services provider that is 100% owned by the Government of Zimbabwe providing Voice, Internet and Data services.
- TelOne has a wide network distribution with infrastructure in almost every corner of this country and the network has grown to be the second largest fixed line network in the Southern African region after Telkom South Africa.
- TelOne owns a wide range of telecommunications equipment, varying from various exchanges located in strategic areas, optical fibre networks, radio network systems plus a wide range of high-tech networks including a satellite base station located in Mazowe area.
- Visit: www.telone.co.zw
About Avanti Communications
Avanti connects people wherever they are – in their homes, businesses, in government and on mobiles. Through the HYLAS satellite fleet and more than 150 partners in 118 countries, the network provides ubiquitous internet service to 27 per cent of the world’s population. Avanti delivers the level of quality and flexibility that the most demanding telecoms customers in the world seek.
Avanti is the first mover in high throughput satellite data communications in EMEA. It has rights to orbital slots and Ka-band spectrum that cover an end market of over 1.5bn people. The Group has invested $1.2bn in a network that incorporates satellites, ground stations, datacentres and a fibre ring. Avanti has a unique Cloud based flexible customer interface that is protected by patented technology.
The Group has three satellites in orbit and a further two fully funded satellites under construction. Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).