Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements.
Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
About the Role
- You will help us manage an international, multi-site production infrastructure powering Avanti services by crafting, building, and operating distributed systems at large-scale
- You will help us moving an ageing backup solution to a new Amazon S3 based one that will be supportive of our Business Continuity and Disaster recovery plans
- You will take part and lead some aspects of a journey towards Infrastructure-as-a-code
- You will be familiar with Agile delivery environments and principles
- You will have a keen eye for security
- You will manage physical and virtual systems mainly comprising of Linux servers.
- You will respond rapidly to identify and resolve application and infrastructure related faults.
- You love scripting and use shell, python or Perl
- You are serious about testing; unit and integration testing is part of how you do your work
- You will work towards becoming an expert in Kubernetes and Containerisation Orchestration and Microservices
- You will support and improve our monitoring platforms, deliver regular reports on all areas of the systems infrastructure including inventory and other utilisation and accounting reports.
- You will work closely with other engineering teams like Software, Network, Hub-Operations providing them with infrastructure as a Service promoting a culture of innovation, continuous improvement and continuous deployment.
- You will contribute to the design, scope and implementation of new solutions for upcoming projects.
- You will support routine service operation and planning tasks.
- Avanti operate 24×7 services and the role requires participation in the on-call rota to support out of office hours emergency support and routine maintenance
Skills and qualifications required
- You have at least 3 years of experience as a DevOps engineer.
- You have supported production-grade systems and have experience with open source and proprietary solutions in this space
- Linux – CentOS
- Configuration Management (Puppet preferred )
- CI/CD – Building Pipelines for Infrastructure, Containers and Software Builds, Docker, Jenkins etc
- At least 2 scripting languages – Shell, Python, Perl
- Cloud-native technologies like Kubernetes
- Amazon S3
- Apache HTTPd, FTP, SMTP, DNS, SSH, and CRON tasks.
- You have good understanding of modern storage architectures.
- You have experience in designing and managing backup solutions and policies.
- You have the ability and willingness to work occasionally long hours under pressure
- You are fluent in English with excellent oral and written communications
- Good understanding of TCP/IP networking
- Experience in automated test coverage, code quality checks (lint) & software metric generation.
- Experience in Internet technologies such as Firewalls, Load Balancing, Proxies, and services clustering
- Understanding of security concepts and best practice within open source infrastructure
- Exposure to BigData analytics, NoSQL database technology
- Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.
- In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.