Interim Legal Counsel
Exciting opportunity to join a global telecommunications business based in central London on fixed term basis.
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements.
Main purpose of role Maternity cover for up to 12 months.
General commercial lawyer reporting directly to the Deputy General Counsel, working as part of a small team advising across and at all levels of the business.
The ideal candidate will be flexible, commercially-minded and confident, with broad commercial experience gained both in private practice and in-house.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Provide clear and cost-effective advice to all business units within the organization, including sales and procurement.
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide-variety of commercial agreements including customer and supplier contracts, master services agreements and framework agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
- Assisting with preparation of, and advising on, RFPs (including government tenders).
- Keeping abreast of and advising on applicable legal and regulatory matters
- Providing guidance on, and ensuring compliance with, company policies
- Assist in other areas as and when required such as employment, litigation, regulatory and property matters
- Liaising with external (including local) counsel as required
- Assisting with company secretarial administration duties.
Skills and qualifications required
- A minimum of 5 years PQE with demonstrable experience of working on a broad range of commercial matters, including time spent in-house
- The individual will be proactive, versatile, organised and with good communications skills. He/she will also have the ability to think laterally and to support all areas of the business by applying legal knowledge to find pragmatic and timely commercial solutions.
- Experience of advising at all levels of a business, with the ability to “tailor” style/advice as appropriate
- Qualified as a solicitor of England and Wales (or other common law jurisdiction), with current practicing certificate
- Experience of working on multi-jurisdictional transactions
- Trained and qualified at top-tier law firm or in-house with an equivalent organization
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.
Some travel (including internationally) may be required.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience