Lead Spacecraft Controller
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements.
Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
Main duties and responsibilities
As a member of the Spacecraft Operations Team, the Lead Spacecraft Controller will report to the Spacecraft Manager and shall support the safe operations of the existing fleet and, where operations duties allow, support the procurement and development activities for future missions and projects.
Your duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Support safe and efficient 24-hour operation of Avanti in-orbit satellites by:
- Coordination of mission planning activities;
- Coordination of spacecraft controller manning and activities, assisting in live operations as necessary;
- Ensuring appropriate day-to-day monitoring of spacecraft performance, health status and telemetry trending as required;
- Generation of regular, periodic operations reports to Spacecraft Operations Engineering;
- Participation, as SCT representative, in anomaly investigations, providing appropriate data as required;
- Coordinate the development, testing and implementation of automated procedures, ANDs, GRDs, mimics and off-line tools;
- Support operations development for future missions and projects;
- Preparing and coordinating any required simulations campaigns;
- Maintainance, through appropriate training, of Spacecraft Control Team certification;
- Supervision and mentoring of junior team members, graduate engineers and interns employed within the SCT;
- Management of day to day SCC activities as required;
- Develop controller team through training and mentoring;
- Line manage Spacecraft Control team, including setting objectives, performance management and arranging shift patterns;
- Liaise with heads of other Spacecraft Operations Teams as required;
- Take responsibility for managing routine monitoring, regular reporting, health status;
- Maintain and develop all appropriate SCT documentation.
- Occasional shift work for critical operations and absence/holiday cover
- Occasional UK travel.
Skills and qualifications required
- University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline;
- At least five years of experience in the field of spacecraft operations;
- Experience with satellite simulators;
- Fluent in English;
- Ability to work independently and effectively;
- Significant proven personnel management skills;
- Ability to manage own workload and set team objectives and priorities, delegating as required;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to coach and develop junior team members;
- Excellent project management and organisational skills;
- Excellent understanding of the procedural approach to operations;
- Fully literate with standard desktop tools;
- Self-motivated, flexible and dynamic.
- Conversant with a variety of analytical tools (e.g. AGI STK, Matlab, Excel etc.);
- Experience of preparation and delivery of training courses.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.