Operations – Head of Spacecraft Operations
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements. Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
Main duties and responsibilities
- The Head of Spacecraft Operations responsibilities shall include, but may not be limited to:
- Technical and disciplinary lead of the Avanti Spacecraft Operations department;
- Responsible for the safe and efficient day to day operation of all satellites owned or operated by Avanti including those operated by Avanti sub-contractors;
- Manage the Spacecraft Operations team across all facilities;
- Manage Spacecraft Operations facilities across the UK and overseas;
- Responsible for reporting to a broader internal audience on the State of Health of the fleet and ARB’s;
- Responsible for reporting to an external audience as required eg insurance placements;
- Chair of all satellite ARB’s (or delegated, but still responsible for process and outcome);
- Ensuring the smooth transition of new satellites into operations:
- Implementation, test and integration of the mission operating systems;
- Addition of new satellites.
- Defining, generating and managing the operational requirements for updates / improvements / evolutions to the Spacecraft Operations Centre.
Skills and qualifications required
Head of Spacecraft Operations will have:
- Minimum of ten years space industry experience with a proven understanding of operations;
- Proven ability to formulate and implement strategy and process;
- Proven ability at co-coordinating team and tasks in time critical situations;
- Strong management skills;
- Excellent communications and inter-personal skills;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Fully literate with usual desktop tools;
- Understanding and support of the small team dynamic;
- Self-motivated, flexible and dynamic;
- Fluency in English.
- Degree in a related subject.
- Professional qualifications / roles within industry bodies is beneficial.
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.
Equal Opportunity Statement We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.