Network Security Engineer
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly
resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements.
Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
Main duties and responsibilities
- Implement continuous testing of service infrastructure to support Avanti security policy.
- Act as subject matter expert on all matters of infrastructure security
- Ensure security elements are considered and best practice applied during project development and implementation
- Provide support to key management stakeholders as the infrastructure technical security champion
- Define technical security requirements and best practice aligned with Operational functions.
- Evaluate new security services and implement enhancements as part of our continual service improvement policy.
- Assists with security investigations and the implementation of mitigating controls to known risks and threats
- Work closely with Networks and DevOps teams and the wider technology community to ensure changes are delivered aligned with security policy
- Design systems to complete evaluation through testing of new infrastructure prior to its introduction into services
- Support third-party security testing and resulting actions.
Skills and qualifications required
- Expert knowledge of IT Security best practices and threat/mitigation resources.
- Extensive experience of infrastructure security core disciplines such as vulnerability management, attack detection and log management.
- The technical capability to implement best practice tools.
- A network qualification such as CCNP or equivalent experience working at a senior technical level.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience
- Strong technical knowledge of LINUX and Open Source tools
- Ability to influence and evangelise security best practice across the technical engineering teams.
- Experience working with security focussed tools such as DDoS solution, sandboxing, DPI, nest generation firewalls, intrusion detection.
- CISSP or equivalent qualification.
- Experience of working within a DevOps environment
- Good understanding of the ITIL or ETOM framework
- Previous experience of having worked for a teleco service provider
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.