Network Solutions Engineer
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Avanti connects people wherever they are – in their homes, businesses, in government and on mobiles.
Through the HYLAS satellite fleet and more than 180 partners in 118 countries, the network provides ubiquitous internet service to a quarter of the world’s population. Avanti delivers the level of quality and flexibility that the most demanding telecoms customers in the world seek.
Avanti is the first mover in high throughput satellite data communications in EMEA. It has rights to orbital slots and Ka-band spectrum in perpetuity that covers an end market of over 1.7bn people.
The Group has invested $1.2bn in a network that incorporates satellites, ground stations, datacentres and a fibre ring.
Avanti has a unique Cloud based customer interface that is protected by patented technology.
The Group has three satellites in orbit and a further two fully funded satellites under construction.
Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
We are looking for a Network Solutions Engineer based at our London head office whose objectives are to deliver design solutions to maximise network availability and performance, and to support both external and internal customers.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Assist in the design, scope and implementation of new network solutions for upcoming projects;
- Build, configure, test & maintain core, provider and customer edge networks;
- Ensure maximum network & service availability through proactive maintenance/monitoring;
- Support in-house operational support systems;
- Document designs, configurations, and procedures for system and network administration;
- Support routine network management and optimisation tasks;
- Apply continual service improvement framework to develop network infrastructure to enhance customer experience;
- Apply traffic engineering principles to improve network resiliency and efficient use of all data circuits;
- Assist in the development of network automation initiatives to reduce design to delivery effort;
- Provide technical expertise to Pre-Sales department in the design and provision of network solutions to Partners;
Skills and qualifications required
- Demonstrable experience of Juniper solutions (MX routers, EX switches & SRX firewalls), including network design, configuration, and troubleshooting;
- A minimum of three years working with the Juniper product range listed above;
- Demonstrable experience of ISP bandwidth and subscriber management products (DPI);
- Excellent understanding of security best practice within enterprise and service provider networks
- ISP/Telecom experience;
- Vendor/industry accreditations;
- Ability and willingness to work occasionally long hours under pressure;
- A computer science degree or equivalent accreditation;
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skills;
- Should have a high degree of competency in these technical areas: Networking Protocols/Services: BGP, OSPF, IPSec, GRE, VRRP, CGNAT, MPLS;
- Familiarity in the administration of network resources – ASN, IP Addressing, etc.;
- Traffic/packet analysis skills.
- Working experience in the use and configuration of network monitoring tools such as Cacti and Nagios.
- Proficient in the use of Junos Space product suite;
- Basic Linux operational commands experience;
- Experience/knowledge of web acceleration/ compression/ caching technologies;
- Strong programming skills and experience of open-source automation tools such as NAPALM
- Basic SDN and NFV experience
- An appreciation of the value of a DevOps approach
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.
The company operates 24×7 services and this role is required to participate in the on-call rota to support out of office hours emergency support and routine maintenance.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.