Networks – Network Services Engineer
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements. Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
Main duties and responsibilities
We are looking for an experienced Network Engineer whose objectives are to delivery design solutions to maximise network availability and performance across the Avanti infrastructure.
- Build, configure, test & maintain core, provider and customer edge networks;
- Design, scope and implement new network solutions for upcoming projects;
- Ensure maximum network & service availability through proactive maintenance/monitoring;
- Support in-house operational support systems;
- Document designs, configurations, and procedures for system and network administration;
- Support routine network management and optimisation tasks.
- Apply continual service improvement framework to develop network infrastructure to enhance customer experience
- Apply traffic engineering principles to improve network resiliency and efficient use of all data circuits.
- Assist in the development of automation initiatives to reduce design to delivery effort
Skills and qualifications required
- Demonstrable experience of Cisco and Juniper solutions (routers, switches, firewalls, IPS), including network design, configuration, and troubleshooting
- A minimum of five years working with the Juniper product range.
- Demonstrable experience of ISP bandwidth and subscriber management products;
- ISP/telco experience, preferably with remote wireless networks;
- Vendor/industry accreditations;
- Ability and willingness to work occasionally long hours under pressure;
- A computer science degree or equivalent accreditation;
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skills;
- Should have an excellent degree of competency in technical areas: Networking Protocols/Services BGP, OSPF, IPSec, GRE, HSRP/VRRP, CGNAT, MPLS, QoS, Multicast;
- Experience of Juniper MX, SRX, ISG and EX series devices;
- Excellent traffic/packet analysis skills.
- Familiarity with open source tools such as nagios, splunk, zenoss, cacti/RRDtool/MRTG;
- Proficient in the use of JunosSpace product suite
- Experience of shell scripting;
- Experience/knowledge of web acceleration/ compression/ caching technologies, e.g. WCCP;
- An interest in new software and hardware technologies and an ability to advise how best they would be implemented within existing environments.
- Experience of SDN and NFV
- An appreciation of the value of a DevOps approach
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.
The company operates 24×7 services and this role is required to participate in the on-call rota to support out of office hours emergency support and routine maintenance.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.