NOC Services Engineer
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements.
Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
Main duties and responsibilities
- Build, configure, test & maintain core, provider and customer edge networks;
- Provide support for service design, transition, and operations;
- Ensure maximum service availability through proactive maintenance/monitoring;
- Document designs, configurations, and procedures for NOC infrastructure administration;
- Apply continual service improvement framework to develop NOC infrastructure to enhance customer experience;
- Work with vendors to ensure all infrastructure is optimally configured and issues are addressed quickly;
- Conduct services evaluation identifying and highlighting capacity and utilisation issues;
- Work with our Pre-Sales Team and Partners to develop and deliver new services;
- Own all local GES NOC related incidents and escalations, providing informative and regular communication with the operational teams;
- Ensuring all incident tickets contain a high level of technical information providing clear unambiguous investigative and resolution details.
Skills and qualifications required
- Minimum 3 years demonstrable experience of Juniper and/or Cisco network solutions (routers, switches, firewalls), including network design, configuration, and troubleshooting.
- Excellent understanding of Satellite Communications, VSAT technology, and RF equipment
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Satellite Hub Management and Operations
- Expert operational experience of at least one Satellite Hub technology which may include Gilat, Newtec, Hughes or iDirect
- Vendor/industry accreditations;
- An electronics engineering, computer science degree or equivalent accreditation;
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skills;
- Should have an excellent degree of competency in technical areas: Networking Protocols/Services BGP, OSPF, IPSec VPN, HSRP/VRRP, CGNAT, MPLS, QoS, Multicast, VLAN and IP Addressing;
- Excellent traffic/packet analysis skills;
- Willingness to work occasional long hours under pressure in geographically dispersed locations
- Ability to successfully apply skills and experience to master new Hub technology to become technical subject matter expert;
- Familiarity with open source tools such as Nagios, Splunk, Zenoss, Cacti/RRDtool, Shinken & Graphite;
- Experience in programming or shell scripting;
- Experience/knowledge of web acceleration/ compression/ caching technologies
- Working experience in log analysis and event correlation
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.
The company operates 24×7 services and this role is required to participate in the on-call rota to support out of office hours emergency support and routine maintenance.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.