Satellite Earth Station RF and Network Engineer
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements. Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
Main duties and responsibilities
To be responsible for all aspects of the project, including but not limited to:
- Provide technical support in implementing maintaining and troubleshooting existing equipment
- Resource and material acquisition
- Cabling (RF and network)
- Identify problems to be investigated if necessary
- Controlling project execution supporting equipment vendors
- Tracking and reporting progress
- Analysing the results based on the achievement
- Forecasting future trends in the project
- Daily Earth Station operations
- Earth Station spares management
- Close relation with networks team
- Support the monitoring of the status and performance of Earth Station and the remote teleports
- Ensure reliability of equipment’s and services through various means of monitoring and control systems
- Ensure GOC Operational procedures are continually updated, followed, and implemented correctly
- Support other engineers in producing reports on operational activities associated with Hylas Operations
- To be current with all Hylas Redmine Tickets and ensure they are regularly updated
- Support regular Operational teleconference calls
- Ensure continued availability of Operational applications within GOC
- Adhere to strict “Change Control Policy / Authority to Work” in place within GOC and its operational systems and areas
- Ensure correct and accurate Operational Activity logging and fault reporting is maintained at all times
- Operate and assist with any future development of the Siemens CMS application
- Maintain alarm monitoring of the Siemens CMS application resulting in continual payload monitoring for Hylas
- Keep GOC Management regularly updated on all operational Issues
- Provide support for operations testing of all new software releases pertaining to applications within the GOC
Skills andqualifications required
- Excellent organisational, management and team working skills, ability to work autonomously and independently
- Knowledge of Satellite technology and RF Transmissions
- Technical degree in telecommunications.
- Knowledge of RF subsystems
- Experience of working directly with prime contractors and with the ability to discuss ideas and concepts with the prime contractor with authority
- Provide technical support for new equipment to be installed on site
- Hardware Hands-on, Installation, Start-up, Troubleshooting, Upgrade of equipment.
- Fluency in English
- Good presentation and customer facing skills
- The ability to efficiently organise and co-ordinate the workload
- Proficient in all MS Office packages and knowledge of Microsoft Project.
- Excellent knowledge level of Networks, TCP/IP and associated protocols
- Excellent knowledge of Vsat Communication networks (i.e Hughes and idirect)
The company operates 24×7 services and this role is required to participate in the on-call rota to support out of office hours emergency support and routine maintenance
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.