Senior Software Engineer
Background and Mission
A world-leading satellite data communications company
At Avanti, we are passionate about satellite communications. This is why with more than 15 years of experience, expertise, dedication and hard work, we have pioneered the use of high-throughput satellites at the Ka-band frequencies.
Major organisations are now using our network for cellular backhaul, IP trunking, complex government and enterprise networks and video services, as well as broadband.
If working closely with satellites and telecommunication infrastructures in a company made of passionate people is something that excites you, then we would love for you to join us.
We have developed a strong reputation for creating proprietary Operational Support Systems (OSS) and business critical applications, so by joining us, you will have the chance to work on missions related to a wide variety of technology areas in a team of international and experienced developers.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the integration of various applications from different suppliers into Avanti’s web-based business and operations support systems, ensuring ease-of-use, security, and scalability.
- Responding to internal development requests, this is a hands on-role with an emphasis on design and development.
- Provide input into the technical leadership and architecture guidance for the OSS platform and related applications in line with the company’s overall business strategy
- Controlling conformity of the solution to architecture standards, rules and roadmap
- Ensure that the architecture strategic view, roadmap, rules and principals are taken into account in the actual projects and designed solutions
- Coach others; participate in knowledge transfer and handle multiple, complex products/projects
- Work with partners as well as internal stakeholders to identify the real technical requirements, participate in the process of approval of the feasibility of product/trial proposed, identify any gaps and potential upsells
- Engage with operations teams to help defining an appropriate, coherent end-to-end solution to deliver a product or trial; demonstrate specific expertise and support around key areas such as security, performance, scalability, availability and resilience
- Following up the general trends in terms of OSS architectures & technologies and identifying opportunities/solutions to enforce the flexibility of the OSS architecture and to enable quick adjustments to future requirements
- Identify product and service improvements and associated risks, work with operations teams to continuously improve the product performance
- To plan, design and develop applications that will be part of OSS/BSS ECO system
- Ensure everyone in the team write clean, effective and high-quality code.
- Design microservices, API clients or libraries using micro frameworks.
- Ensure the team’s code is unit and integration tested.
- Build your solution with Jenkins.
- In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.
Skills and Qualifications required
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent degree/experience
- 8+ years of experience building web applications including:
- – 8+ years’ experience in PHP 5.6+
- – 5+ years using Symfony 2.8+
- – 3+ years using microservices using micro frameworks.
- Experience in designing different software architectures – SOA, Micro Services, DDD etc.
- Our ESB use Java and Kotlin.
- We use Python and Shell scripting for scripts.
- We develop with Docker and Git.
- Ability to use a DDD approach.
- We test with PHPUnit, PHPSpec and Behat.
- We build with Jenkins.
- We use other technologies in accordance with the needs of every system: Swagger, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, etc.
- You have a very good verbal and written English.
- You are motivated and passionate about technology.
- You will be giving ideas and improving the team’s environment and processes.
- You will be sharing new technical discoveries and talk about any field of interest during our fortnightly tech talks.
- Monthly hackathon is dedicated to side projects where you will be able to prototype solutions and/or explore different technologies on projects of your choice (or you could join another developer’s project).
- As we apply for patents for some of our work, if you were part of the team involved then you will have the opportunity to have your name in the patent.
- Well-situated in the heart of the City, just a five minutes’ walk from St Paul’s station and City Thameslink.
- We have a table tennis table!
Dependent on experience