Background and Mission
A world-leading satellite data communications company
At Avanti, we are passionate about satellite communications. This is why with more than 15 years of experience, expertise, dedication and hard work, we have pioneered the use of high-throughput satellites at the Ka-band frequencies.
Major organisations are now using our network for cellular backhaul, IP trunking, complex government and enterprise networks and video services, as well as broadband.
If working closely with satellites and telecommunication infrastructures in a company made of passionate people is something that excites you, then we would love for you to join us.
We have developed a strong reputation for creating proprietary Operational Support Systems (OSS) and business critical applications, so by joining us, you will have the chance to work on missions related to a wide variety of technology areas in a team of international and experienced developers.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To plan, design and develop applications that will be part of OSS/BSS ECO system
- Write clean, effective and high-quality code.
- Be involved in the whole lifecycle of projects: understanding contexts, suggesting ideas, planning, design, development, deployment, evolution and maintenance.
- To figure out the best design for a given solution, exploring our current systems, capabilities and limits, exchanging ideas with other Software Engineers, and implement it.
- Implement the solution using the choice of language and technologies – which at the moment includes PHP 6+ Symfony 2.8+ mainly.
- Use microservices, API clients or libraries using micro frameworks.
- Use the internal event sourcing solution and ESB that use Java.
- Use Python and Shell scripting for scripts.
- Develop with Docker and Git using a DDD approach where applicable.
- Test your code with PHPUnit, PHPSpec and Behat.
- Build your solution with Jenkins.
- Use other technologies in accordance with the needs of every system: Swagger, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, etc.
- Work autonomously sometimes and make decisions with minimal support.
- In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.
Skills and Qualifications required
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent degree/experience
- 5+ years of experience building web applications including:
- – 5+ years’ experience in PHP 5.6+
- – 3+ years using Symfony 2.8+
- – 3+ years using microservices using micro frameworks.
- Our ESB use Java and Kotlin.
- We use Python and Shell scripting for scripts.
- We develop with Docker and Git using a DDD approach.
- We test with PHPUnit, PHPSpec and Behat.
- We build with Jenkins.
- We use other technologies in accordance with the needs of every system: Swagger, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, etc.
- You have a decent verbal and written English.
- You are willing to learn from others and share your knowledge with the team.
- Having front-end skills is a plus.
- You are motivated.
- Having Martin Fowler’s website as your default browser homepage and technical books on your nightstand is definitely a plus!
- You will be giving ideas and improving the team’s environment and processes.
- You will be sharing new technical discoveries and talk about any field of interest during our fortnightly tech talks.
- Monthly hackathon is dedicated to side projects where you will be able to prototype solutions and/or explore different technologies on projects of your choice (or you could join another developer’s project).
- As we apply for patents for some of our work, if you were part of the team involved then you will have the opportunity to have your name in the patent.
- Well-situated in the heart of the City, just a five minutes’ walk from St Paul’s station and City Thameslink.
- We have a table tennis table!
Dependent on experience