Keeping South Africa’s Lights On
Located in rural areas of the Western Cape, TerniEnergia’s photovoltaic solar energy plants required a secure and reliable internet connection for their operations. TerniEnergia, an Italian-based renewable and energy efficiency company, has developed two plants in rural South Africa. To facilitate the construction and operation of the plants, a reliable and secure internet connection was required. However, due to the remote locations of the sites, limited network infrastructure made this challenging. TerniEnergia partnered with Avanti Communications to provide reliable and secure high speed satellite broadband connectivity to its photovoltaic renewable energy plants. Avanti’s Ka-band technology supports Virtual Private Networks (VPN), ensuring IP traffic remains secure and encrypted from end-to-end.
With 100% coverage of South Africa, Avanti’s HYLAS 2 satellite provided the high speed downlink and uplink connection vital for TerniEnergia to support their operations and remote reporting.
- Bringing its power plants online has been crucial for TerniEnergia in improving efficiency and ensuring sites under construction are connected at all times
- The plants’ employees can upload data on the progress of the plants’ construction and monitor their power production
- The connected plants have been able to accelerate the delivery of solar energy across South Africa, to even some of the remotest regions
- Welfare services can be accessed by employees on site, improving staff morale
- Overall, a reliable internet connection is enabling TerniEnergia to drive efficiencies and energy production across its sites