As a member of our Devops Engineering team, you will join a multi-disciplined community of engineers dedicated to building, evolving and operating systems subject to continuous development and release, whilst maintaining high availability of operational services.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage an international, multi-site production infrastructure powering Avanti services, including design, deployment, maintenance, troubleshooting, performance tuning, and security;
- Administer Infrastructure services and Operational Support Systems(OSS);
- Formalise designs, configurations, and procedures for system and storage administration;
- Respond rapidly to identify and resolve applications and infrastructure related faults;
- Work with software developers to ensure that development follows established processes and works as intended;
- Ensure that systems are safe and secure against cybersecurity threats;
- Understand the needs of stakeholders;
- Contribute to the design, scope and implementation of new solutions for upcoming projects;
- Through the use of intelligent monitoring, deliver visibility on all areas of the systems infrastructure including availability, utilisation and inventory;
- Provide tools to support data driven decisions (Elastic Stack, Graphite, Grafana);
- Deliver highly available and reliable solutions (HAProxy, Keepalived);
- To drive and encourage innovation across the service infrastructure;
- Optimise existing tools and processes as part of our continuous service improvement program;
- Avanti operate 24×7 services and the role requires participation in the on-call rota to support out of office hours’ emergency support and routine maintenance;
- Service is delivered throughout the HYLAS fleet footprint and occasional international travel is required.
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrable experience managing, troubleshooting, and tuning Linux systems;
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skills;
- Linux configuration, management and administration (RHEL/CentOS/Ubuntu);
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages (bash, Python, Perl);
- Experience with Virtualization, Containerisation and related provisioning tools (ESXi, vCenter, Docker);
- Understanding of agile software development, continuous deployment, and DevOps culture;
- CI/CD and Version control (Jenkins, GIT);
- A good understanding of TCP/IP networking;
- Understanding of the DNS protocol and architectures;
- Experience with modern database systems (MySQL, ElasticSearch, MongoDB);
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, and the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time;
- Fluent in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Linux accreditations;
- Network accreditations or equivalent experience;
- Experience of Puppet and Kubernetes
- Experience with AWS/S3
- Experience with distributed service monitoring (SNMP, Shinken/Nagios);
- Experience with Windows server stack, Active Directory and Powershell scripting;
- Experience in automated test coverage, code quality checks (lint) & software metric generation;
- Working with Internet technologies such as Firewalls, Load Balancing, Proxies, and services clustering;
- Experience in Telecommunications or Satellite Industry;
- Understanding of large-scale web environments within a geographically distributed infrastructure.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.