Devops Engineers are IT professionals who collaborate with software developers, system operators and other IT staff members to manage code releases. They cross and merge the barriers that exist between software development, testing and operations teams and keep existing networks in mind as they design, plan and test.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage an international, multi-site production infrastructure powering Avanti services, including design, deployment, maintenance, troubleshooting, performance tuning, and security;
- Administer Infrastructure services and Operational Support Systems(OSS);
- Formalise designs, configurations, and procedures for system and storage administration;
- Respond rapidly to identify and resolve applications and infrastructure related faults;
- Work with software developers to ensure that development follows established processes and works as intended;
- Ensure that systems are safe and secure against cybersecurity threats;
- Understand the needs of stakeholders;
- Contribute to the design, scope and implementation of new solutions for upcoming projects;
- Through the use of intelligent monitoring, deliver visibility on all areas of the systems infrastructure including availability, utilisation and inventory;
- Provide tools to support data driven decisions (Elastic Stack, Graphite, Grafana);
- Deliver highly available and reliable solutions (HAProxy, Keepalived);
- To drive and encourage innovation across the service infrastructure;
- Optimise existing tools and processes as part of our continuous service improvement program;
- Avanti operate 24×7 services and the role requires participation in the on-call rota to support out of office hours’ emergency support and routine maintenance;
- Service is delivered throughout the HYLAS fleet footprint and occasional international travel is required.
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrable experience managing, troubleshooting, and tuning Linux systems;
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skills;
- Linux configuration, management and administration (RHEL/CentOS);
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages (bash, Python, Perl, PHP);
- Experience with Virtualization, Containerisation and related provisioning tools (ESXi, vCenter, Docker);
- Understanding of agile software development, continuous deployment, and DevOps culture;
- CI/CD and Version control (Jenkins, GIT);
- A good understanding of TCP/IP networking;
- Understanding of the DNS protocol and architectures;
- Experience with modern database systems (MySQL, ElasticSearch, MongoDB);
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, and the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time;
- Fluent in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Linux accreditations;
- Network accreditations or equivalent experience;
- Experience of Puppet and Kubernetes
- Experience with AWS/S3
- Experience with distributed service monitoring (SNMP, Shinken/Nagios);
- Experience with Windows server stack, Active Directory and Powershell scripting;
- Experience in automated test coverage, code quality checks (lint) & software metric generation;
- Working with Internet technologies such as Firewalls, Load Balancing, Proxies, and services clustering;
- Experience in Telecommunications or Satellite Industry;
- Understanding of large-scale web environments within a geographically distributed infrastructure.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.