As a DevOps Engineering Manager you will be responsible for leading Avanti’s Cloud first initiative, offering significant successful experience of on premise to Cloud migrations. Working as the principle engineer you will support legacy systems whilst evaluating and delivering our migration roadmap.
You will help build and maintain CI/CD pipelines for development and other engineering teams, implementing DevOps tools for monitoring and performance management. You will drive forward SaaS, PaaS and tooling improvements that enable the business to confidently operate at pace, whilst ensuring security through proactive mitigation of malicious security risks. You will be responsible for automation & system provisioning, metrics, monitoring, scalability and security. You will continuously review the architecture design in anticipation of increased scale and ever-evolving technology to meet the demands of our business.
Duties & Responsibilities
- You will be leading, developing, and managing a team of DevOps Engineers, and with a highly technical background, act as the principle engineer, leading by example delivering technical excellence;
- To align DevOps capabilities with business requirements, offering solutions and innovation;
- You will take an active role in creating and promoting operational best practice and you will act as the main advocate for availability and stability of the production services;
- You will be a key member of the business critical groups such as Incident Management team and Solutions group, taking control of major incidents when they happen in order to swiftly restore service to customers;
- You will have a background of running high-traffic, highly available customer-facing services, and of working with stakeholders from across the technical sphere to ensure that all teams deploy and run the best solutions;
- Through regular 1:1’s with team members, provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognise the individual strengths and contributions;
- Work with the engineers to advocate Engineering Principles and advance modern software development practices in the teams you work directly with as well as across Avanti;
- You understand Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), and Release Engineering best-practices;
- Instil a spirit of continuous improvement in the code, architecture, processes, and ways of working;
- Work closely with your line manager to recruit, retain and develop team members from diverse backgrounds;
Skills & Qualifications
- You are an expert in managing, troubleshooting, and tuning large-scale distributed Linux systems;
- You have a strong background in Cloud Infrastructure automation and maintenance (AWS);
- You have monitored large-scale SaaS apps; understand micro-service architecture and know how to instrument code for observability;
- Solid Experience of configuration and orchestration tools (Puppet, Kubernetes, Terraform);
- You have helped implementing and managing CI/CD pipelines and has demonstrable agile delivery experience;
- Solid Experience with modern database systems (MySQL, ElasticSearch, MongoDB);
- Experience with the evolution of distributed service monitoring (SNMP, Shinken/Nagios) to current best of breed solutions;
- You have past experience in migrating on premise services to Cloud service such as AWS;
- Solid experience in security best practice for on premise and Cloud environments;
- You will have excellent IP networking knowledge that includes routing, switching and security policies;
- You are experienced in leading, coaching and mentoring engineers and delivering working software;
- You have solid experience working in a multifunctional team in an agile environment and are keen to embrace new practices to improve your team’s ways of working further;
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment, with other Engineering Managers and can motivate and instil a strong sense of ownership in your engineers;
- You are comfortable working in a high pace environment with a team that need to respond quickly to changing circumstances;
- You believe in building both teams and systems that scale;
- You think ahead and build for the future;
- Fluent in English with excellent verbal and written communication.
- Linux accreditations;
- Network accreditations or equivalent experience;
- Experience with Azure cloud platform;
- B2B experience in Telco and adjacent industries.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.