The Director – Spectrum Management will be part of the Regulatory Team and will be responsible for effecting and enabling overall Avanti’s spectrum management, frequency coordination, spectrum policy and spectrum engineering activities.
This position has a critical role to play in representing and promoting the interests of the Avanti Communications Group, its companies, products and services.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Direct the preparation of new or update Avanti satellite network filings to the ITU to facilitate or enable Avanti’s growth using relevant ITU-R software tools;
- Ensure, direct and undertake interference analyses to assess the extent of radio-frequency compatibility between Avanti-filed satellite networks and non-Avanti satellite networks and terrestrial sources of interference to Avanti’s operations;
- Direct, prepare, ensure and lead spectrum co-ordination via relevant administrations and satellite operators. Direct the technical studies needed to prepare Avanti’s positions for frequency coordination meetings at Admin to Admin or Operator to Operator level;
- Ensure Avanti’s satellite filings are fully maintained and advanced through the ITU BR processes and that BR IFIC responses are delivered on time and accurately;
- Lead on interaction with UK Ministry of Defence on Avanti satellite filing matters in ‘government’ spectrum;
- International advocacy on spectrum management, spectrum allocation, spectrum assignment policy proposals of UK, relevant European and relevant non-European National (e.g. major EMEA countries) and International Regulatory Authorities (e.g. ITU, EU, CEPT, ATU, CTO, CITEL, APT, Arab League etc.) incl. but not limited to the ITU WRC study cycle;
- Participate in relevant meetings with Ofcom, with NRAs, satellite operators and trade associations, international organisations with a view to ensuring Avanti’s interests and objectives are considered and reflected on spectrum management / spectrum engineering matters;
- Ensure, undertake and lead relevant spectrum engineering related studies to exploit Avanti’s satellite network filings as well as to evaluate the impact of inter-system interference on the system performance of current and planned Avanti satellite systems;
- Support the preparation of technical and other material to be included in Avanti, Avanti service partner, Avanti Gateway Earth Station partner as appropriate ‘licence’ applications and regulatory filings to relevant NRAs.
Skills and Qualifications
- BSc in Electrical Engineering, Physics or similar field;
- Numerous years’ experience in successfully developing and handling spectrum management / spectrum policy / frequency coordination / spectrum engineering matters; preparing responses to telecommunications and space policy consultations from governments; meeting with government officials; influencing and promoting relevant policy;
- Work experience in a national government or in the private sector for a global technology or telecommunication company with expertise in spectrum management, spectrum policy, frequency coordination and spectrum engineering;
- Extensive experience in working with multinational and multicultural teams, and in effectively managing projects and people;
- Excellent ability to sell and drive specific outcomes within organisations and in national / international fora;
- Extensive professional network with national and international regulatory officials with the influencing skills to match;
- Extensive experience of satellite communications system design and operation (e.g. link budgets, propagation models, modulation / coding schemes);
- Deep understanding of ITU Radio Regulations (in particular ITU Frequency Allocation Table and Frequency Coordination Procedures)
- Strong commercial understanding of satellite broadband service packages and positioning relative to other competing network technologies);
- Ability to work independently and capability to acquire new skill sets;
- Fluency in English;
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.