Perform spacecraft operations for Avanti’s fleet of geosynchronous satellites. Activities include, among others, orbit determination, manoeuvre planning, propellant accounting.
- Liaise with other teams to ensure smooth, safe, and efficient operations;
- Implement station-keeping and co-location strategies;
- Run offline analyses on the spacecraft status and performances, including but not limited to: co-location activities, mass consumption estimation, life-time estimation;
- Identify issues with the operational software, liaise with third parties to obtain a resolution, support the delivery and installation of new software version;
- Write new software tools as required (Python);
- Write, test, execute, and update operational procedures;
- Assist in writing weekly, monthly, and yearly reports on the spacecraft orbit and performances;
- Perform simulations to analyse relevant operational scenarios (e.g. relocations, end-of-life de-orbit);
- Liaise with third parties (e.g. 18th Space Control Squadron, Space Data Association, European Union Space Surveillance & Tracking service, other operators) to assess conjunction risks and change manoeuvre planning as necessary;
- Support non-routine operations (e.g. satellite relocations, end-of-life re-orbit);
- Support investigation and recovery of spacecraft anomalies;
- Propose and implement operational improvements;
- Provide support to the FD manager in all daily activities.
- Attention to details and self-discipline;
- Eagerness to learn, to admit and correct mistakes, and to share knowledge;
- Excellent command of the English language;
- Flight Dynamics and/or Spacecraft Operations expertise, especially on GEO satellites;
- Proven academic and/or professional experience in orbit determination and/or manoeuvre optimization;
- Post-graduate degree in mathematics, physics, astronomy, or aerospace engineering;
- Deep, demonstrable understanding of Newtonian physics and orbital mechanics;
- Wide mathematical background, including but not limited to: differential calculus, matrix algebra, SRIF, spherical geometry, rocket equation;
- Good programming skills, ideally in Python;
- Proven capability of both working independently under limited supervision and in a team;
- Ambition to thrive professionally and personally.
- Proven academic and/or professional experience in perturbation theory, Kalman filtering, covariance analysis.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.