Avanti offers a suite of connectivity products via its fleet of high throughput satellites. Over the past 18 months, the company is focusing on market segments covering Telecom Carriers, Government (incl. Defence) and Industry. The connectivity products are evolving from best endeavour consumer broadband solutions to high performing customer specific enterprise solutions. Avanti Market success is dependent on continuous product innovation, high performance, easy to do business and competitive pricing.
The Head of DevOps Engineering will lead a team of Software/DevOps engineers and related functions, with a hands on role in the development of innovative digital and Infrastructure solutions and leadership of agile engineering teams. Drive our cloud-first strategy; engineering innovative digital solutions based on our technology strategy. Provide technical leadership, understand the platform and technologies used and guide future direction. Own the definition of the engineering processes and deliverables. Coach, support and develop the reporting engineers.
- Responsible for implementing digital transformation (OSS & BSS) program and operating next generation OSS platform running on hybrid-cloud infrastructure.
- Implement and manage CI/CD build tools, automated testing systems, security analysis tools, and repository managers supporting rapid delivery of digital solutions
- Responsible for Service Monitoring and Service Availability, meeting demands of the business to support a multi-vendor environment and to deliver industry leading service management.
- Hire, onboard, motivate and retain high performing engineers ensuring proper management and career development. Provide feedback, address underperformance, and recognise strengths of team members
- Whilst adhering to accepted industry best practice and internal processes, continually educate and challenge the organization to adopt the latest and most effective software/Infrastructure development and delivery practices.
- Act as catalyst across all technology teams to start embedding principles of Lean & Agile engineering practices from software engineering
- Work with product owners to ensure the delivery of accurate product build and work with project managers to ensure schedules and controls for development teams are met.
- Appreciate and advocate for information security and secure coding practices.
- Help enabling SaaS products & current systems in pursuit of the new technology landscape.
- Assist evaluation and adoption of new technologies, identify opportunities to improve performance and proactively challenge system usage to maximise return on investment.
- Own your team’s deliverables and product quality. Ensure the continuation of shipping scalable, highly available, and world class products to customers.
- Implement and operate OSS2.0 built on cloud solutions
- Develop and own the DevOps roadmap ; Manage and optimize cloud infrastructure and services budget.
- Be a hands-on DevOps Team Manager who will spend up to 50% of their time in design reviews, sprint planning and other Agile artifacts. Some active coding and environment administration is a requirement for this role.
- Solution sets are tested, qualified, and documented in accordance with design control and quality standards, as well as applicable international standards.
- Timely delivery of high quality, secure software; ownership of Cloud and Application Security.
- Tangible business benefits through automation of business and operations processes
- Collaborate with engineering teams to collect and present appropriate metrics (i.e., SLA, SLI, and SLO) to implement the observability platform
- Application and infrastructure monitoring and incident response; Work with stakeholders to ensure production issues are resolved quickly
- Lead Release Engineering in the support of release packaging, release management, and patch deployment; making the process more efficient and less time-consuming.
- Instil a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
Skills and Qualifications
- Overall experience of at least 10 years.
- Minimum 3 years of proven record in leading engineering teams including building high performance and distributed teams; accomplishment in developing and growing people.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in delivering and managing high-availability and disaster-tolerance global application and infrastructure on AWS
- Strong background as software or devops engineer for minimum of 5 years.
- Deep understanding and demonstratable experience with AWS products, Kubernetes, Docker, ElasticSearch, MongoDB, PostgresDB, Jenkins, Git, Terraform, CI/CD pipeline both on Cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure) and On-prem Private-Cloud
- Solid understanding of multiple development and testing methodologies, with minimum 5+ years’ experience in Agile + DevOps
- Strong expertise with XaaS, Virtualisation, micro services, and other architecture paradigms and frameworks.
- Ability to work with product teams in defining tasks and creating roadmaps.
- We are looking for a humble Servant Leader, results-driven, customer-centric, and takes ownership and accountability with a mindset that anything is possible.
- Demonstrable project management experience.
- Experience in delivering complex solutions for Telco industry
- Experience as a software engineer using one of PHP/java/Python
- Enterprise architecture certifications from AWS, TOGAF
- Exposure to telecom network design and/or operations experience, SDN, virtual and cloud-native Core, Edge and RAN nodes.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.