Hub Engineers are product owners of the multi-vendor IP to RF equipment installed across the 7 gateways at Avanti.
You will be responsible for the full product lifecycle – design and implementation, and operational support – you will ensure the platforms are monitored appropriately and carry out regular health checks. You will also play a key role in resolving anomalies in the performance of the hub equipment, in co-ordination with the partner support team and the escalation manager.
All Hub Engineers take part in an on-call rota, providing incident response outside of normal office hours.
- Ensure maximum network & service availability through proactive maintenance/monitoring
- Provide escalation support for all customer facing 1st and 2nd line teams.
- Provide domain knowledge expertise during service design, delivery and transition into operations
- Continually analyse Hub infrastructure to identify service improvements to enhance customer experience
- Work with vendors to ensure all Hubs are optimally configured and issues are addressed quickly through to RCA.
- Conduct services evaluation identifying and highlighting capacity and utilisation issues.
- Work with our partners to identify innovation opportunities
- Collaborate with and support our Product and Presale’s team to ensure the most effective solutions are designed and implemented
- Continually research and evaluate vendor technical solutions and products
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience of having previously worked within a senior role qualifications required with defined responsibility
- Ability to influence and communicate complex technical solutions to peer stakeholders.
- Excellent understanding of Satellite Communications, VSAT technology, and RF equipment
- Proven experience in Satellite Hub Management and Operations
- Excellent understanding of the IP protocol stack and packet analysis tools such as iPerf
- Operational experience of the following hub vendors: Gilat, Newtec, iDirect, Hughes Network Systems
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skill
- Network Operations Centre experience within a Satellite Communications or ISP environment
- Knowledge of network engineering methodologies, LAN/WAN technologies, Internet protocols and applications.
- Willingness to work occasional long hours under pressure in geographically dispersed locations
- Ability to successfully apply skills and experience to master new hub technology to become technical subject matter expert.
- South African National or MUST have a VALID visa to work in South Africa
- Mentoring and development of junior team members
- A telecommunications or computer science degree
- Basic Linux systems administration experience including shell scripting
- Familiarity with open source tools such as Nagios, Cacti/Grafana/iPerf
- Previous experience with Windows system administration and use of the Office software suite
- CCNA or equivalent qualified
The company operates 24×7 services and this role is required to participate in the on-call rota to support out of office hours emergency support and routine maintenance.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.