This senior role is within the Information and Communication Technologies team responsible for building, evolving and operating systems subject to continuous development and release, whilst maintaining high availability of operational services.
Provide tactical and operational excellence to the Information and Communication Technology team defining and implementing infrastructure standards and policies as well as designing and delivering infrastructure solutions and projects that meet business requirements.
Supporting the evolution of our infrastructure, you will influence the design and strategic direction of our technology roadmap and cloud adoption. Work with Head of Shared Services and other members of this team to provide a resilient, secure environment and ensure great customer service and support to the Business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage an international, multi-site production infrastructure powering Avanti services, including design, deployment, maintenance, troubleshooting, performance tuning and security;
- Administer Infrastructure services and Operational Support Systems(OSS);
- Maintain a highly available resilient environment, patching and upgrading software regularly;
- Formalise designs, configurations, and procedures for system and storage administration;
- Identity system incidents and problems. Troubleshoot, resolve and produce root cause analysis of these incidents;
- Work with software developers to ensure that development follows established processes and works as intended;
- Ensure that systems are safe and secure against cybersecurity threats;
- Significantly contribute to the design, scope and implementation of new solutions for upcoming projects;
- Provide significant input into the department’s strategic direction in relation to infrastructure, architecture and operations;
- Monitor and maintain equipment and systems insuring maximum performance, security and system integrity. Establish a baseline for system performance and capacity planning;
- Provide tools to support data driven decisions (Elastic Stack, Graphite, Grafana);
- Deliver highly available and reliable solutions (HAProxy, Keepalived);
- Optimise existing tools and processes as part of our continuous service improvement program;
- Responsible for implementation and release of system and application changes with relevant change controls;
- Responsible for backup, business continuity and disaster recovery of systems;
- Avanti operate 24×7 services and the role requires participation in the on-call rota to support out of office hours’ emergency support and routine maintenance;
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrable experience managing, troubleshooting, and tuning Linux and Windows systems;
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skills;
- Linux and Windows configuration, management, optimisation and administration;
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages (Bash, Python, Perl, Powershell);
- Experience with Virtualisation, Containerisation, and related provisioning tools (ESXi, vCenter, Docker);
- Understanding of agile software development, continuous deployment, and DevOps culture;
- CI/CD and Version control (Jenkins, GIT);
- A good understanding of TCP/IP networking and networking tools such as dns, tcpdump and radius;
- Experience in automated test coverage, code quality checks (lint) and software metric generation;
- Working with Internet technologies such as Firewalls, Load Balancing, Proxies, and services clustering;
- Experience with distributed service monitoring (SNMP, Shinken/Nagios);
- Experienced with automation tools and infrastructure as code. (Terraform, Puppet, Ansible, yaml, python);
- Experience with modern database systems (MySQL, ElasticSearch, MongoDB);
- Experience with cloud and cloud migration (AWS, Azure, GCP);
- Extensive experience in security hardening servers and network equipment, including certificate management;
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, and the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time;
- Fluent in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Windows or Linux certifications;
- Network certifications or equivalent experience;
- Cloud provider certifications or equivalent experience;
- Experience with AWS/S3;
- Experience in telecommunications or satellite industry;
- Understanding of large-scale web environments within a geographically distributed infrastructure.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.