The Satellite Resource Management (SRM) group is an operational group within Avanti Communications, responsible for the planning, coordination and execution of a wide range of tasks including but not limited to transmission planning, payload configurationand contingency planning, end-to-end link design and dimensioning, link and service performance analysis and troubleshooting. The group is also involved in the fleet capacity management and provides technical support to the sales and pre-sales engineering functions within the company.
To achieve this the SRM interfaces with a wide range of both engineering and commercial groups within the company with a view to facilitate and coordinate efficient and smooth execution of both day-to-day and ad-hoc activities.
The Senior Satellite Communication Systems Engineer will hold a technical role within the SRM, based at the Avanti Head Office in London. Due to the current COVID-19 situation, the post holder will be required to work remotely, with the ability for periodic (pre-scheduled) visits to the head office in London, UK.
The post holder will be responsible for undertaking spectrum resource management and satellite communications engineering tasks to support the company’s operations, analysis and pre-sales support activities, monitoring and trending of satellite capacity and performance for all of Avanti’s satellite fleet, and overall engineering of end-to-end satellite systems.
They will have a role as an interdepartmental engineering interface, maintaining close relationships with the Sales and Marketing, Network, Gateway Operations, Satellite Operations, Regulatory and Procurement teams, to ensure that service delivery fulfil company objectives.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Communications Payload Engineering;
- Link budget analysis;
- Transmission planning;
- Payload Redundancy Strategy planning and processes;
- Preparation of operational processes documentation;
- Definition and communication of detailed operational activity plans, as well as scheduling and oversight of the execution of said activities.
- Participation in relevant operations reviews and meetings;
- Coordination between the Networks, Hub Operations, Gateway Operations,Satellite Operations and Partner Support teams for system-wide operations;
- End-to-end link RF performance analysis, investigation and troubleshooting. This may require analysis of ground segment networks including both the Gateway and User Terminal side, as well as analysis of payload/transponder operation/performance.
- User terminal specification reviews, in coordination with Avanti’s Regulatory group, for provision of access permission on the Avanti satellite network.
- Provision of technical support to the Products and Pre-Sales teams/functions. This may include review and decomposition of end user requirements and assessment of how those can best be met in terms of link design and dimensioning.
- Provision of technical support to the Sales, Strategy and Marketing teams/functions.
- Occasional technical representations within and outside the company as required to support sales activities;
- Contribution to the development, maintenance and improvement of existing and planned SRM software tools used for modelling and simulation of end-to-end system performance;
- Maintain awareness of technology trends, assist in the development of new products and services and be able to outline their architectural implementation and support trials.
Skills & Qualifications
- Post-graduate degree in a relevant field, preferably in satellite communications;
- Proficiency in link budget analysis;
- Numerous years’ experience in a satellite operations environment focusing on satellite communications engineering and satellite resource management, transmission planning and and link design and dimensioning; Experience in Ka-band satellite operations specifically would be advantageous.
- Good understanding of and experience in satellite communications engineering with knowledge of RF, spectrum resource allocation, digital communications, air interface communications standards such as DVB-S2/S2X, DVB-RCS as well as digital modulation schemes/techniques;
- Understanding of payload design and operation, including power and thermal budgets and constraints;
- Experience developing systems documentation, test plans and procedures as well as operational procedures;
- Ability to work independently and effectively, co-coordinating tasks and responsibilities;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Fluency in English;
- Excellent communications and inter-personal skills (written and verbal);
- Confidence in working directly with potential customers and subcontractors in a technical capacity;
- Practical experience in the commissioning and testing of satellite systems – satellite and ground based;
- Business awareness and acumen;
- Programming/software engineering skills with knowledge of MATLAB and Visual Basic;
- Experience in designing and/or assessing software, firmware and hardware solutions within an overall system design.
You MUST be able to obtain an SCI Clearance (on a active contract) to be considered for this position.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.
The role requires access to “Controlled Information” (i.e. information and other materials that are subject to compliance restrictions under US export control legislation), Avanti are required to ensure a thorough screening process before access to such information is granted.