We are Avanti – the leading Ka band high throughput satellite capacity partner to the communications industry across EMEA.
We are committed to helping the world become better connected and we are proud to leverage our satellite technology to protect communities and unlock opportunities for individuals, businesses and governments.
Our satellite technology changes lives every day and we strive to make a difference by improving access to education, medicine and creating a safe environment for people to live and work. This is all delivered by our brilliant people across Europe, Africa and America.
‘Be More’ is our unique point of view on the world. We believe everyone has the potential to achieve their ambitions and we are determined to create opportunities to support this. This belief extends to the workplace, where we promote a collaborative and well-balanced working environment.
We offer employee benefits, flexible working, rewards for performance and the opportunity to give back to local communities to empower our people to grow, develop and make a positive difference to millions of people around the world.
The Senior Service Operations Engineer plays a key role in supporting the continuous operations of Avanti’s global network infrastructure.
As a member of the 24/7 Service Operations team, this role will report directly to the Service Operations Manager, Providing technical lead support on the safe operation and management of Service NOC as well as the Avanti global network,
This position will monitor the performance and capacity of Avanti Global network Infrastructure using a variety of tools, searching for hardware, software, and environmental alerts or malfunctions and determine the cause of the problem
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Technical lead in the management of ServiceNOC network operations
- Ensure maximum network & service availability through proactive maintenance/monitoring on a 24/7 shift rota
- Continuous analysis of Hub and Network infrastructure to identify service improvements to enhancecustomer experience
- Work with vendors/suppliers to ensure all Network devices and WAN link providers including Hub devices areoptimally configured and issues are addressed quickly through to To ensure that agreedrestoration/repair SLAs are adhered to.
- Conduct service evaluation identifying and highlighting capacity and utilisation
- To own all network and hub related incidents ensuring regular informative communication to the Teams and
- Ensuring incident tickets contain detailed technical information, providing clear unambiguous investigativeand resolution
- To provide recommendations and feedback to further develop our monitoring capabilities as an aid toreduce MTTR
- Ensuring all Hub and Network infrastructure reference documentation and operating procedures are kept up-to-date. Provide continual feedback to core support teams (hub/network specialist group) to further enhancethe service
- Document processes and procedures to address common issues ensuring a knowledge database isdeveloped and available for common use as well as to aid in improving fault resolution
- To ensure service infrastructure changes are reviewed rigorously and maintenances are properly scheduledand planned according to the Change and Incident Management
- Liaise with 3rd parties, NOC to NOC peering, and vendors to ensure all scheduled maintenances aredocumented, communicated and risks
- Develop skill set and capabilities in line with the agreed training
- Achieve the Network and Hub industry certifications aligned with vendor certification
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum of 2- year operational experience of the following vendors: Gilat, Newtec, iDirect, HughesNetwork Systems; Juniper, Fortinet, Cisco
- An advanced understanding of Satellite Communications, VSAT technology, and RF equipment
- Excellent understanding of the IP protocol stack and traffic/packet analysis tools
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skill
- Network Operations Centre experience within a Satellite Communications or ISP environment
- Knowledge of IP networking, Internet protocols and applications
- Experience with vendor escalation and trouble ticketing management
- Previous experience with Windows system administration and use of the Office software suite
- Hands-on working experience with degree of competency in BGP, OSPF, MPLS, QoS, L2 switching, Firewallpolicies, CGNAT and
- Excellent understanding of monitoring via SNMP
- Working experience in operating Linux OS
- An engineering/telecommunication degree or equivalent industry experience
- Familiarity with monitoring and graphing tools
- Understanding and ability to use a spectrum analyser tool
- Operational working experience with open source monitoring and graphing tools such as Nagios,Cacti/RRDtool, Shinken, Graphite and Grafana;
- Vendor/industry related accreditations; JNCIA or above preferred
The company operates 24×7 services and this role is required to cover a mixture of day/night shifts to support the 24×7 Service Operations.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.