Avanti was launched in 2002 with a vision to design, build and launch pioneering satellite technology that would provide ubiquitous coverage even in the most remote or demanding of locations. Today we connect over 1.7 billion people across 118 countries across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. With over $1.2billion invested in our innovative HYLAS satellite technology, we’re building a company renowned for our customer service, technology and collaboration with partners
We’ve challenged the industry, the legacy systems and those who said we couldn’t, and delivered against them. We believe in a world of equal opportunity, where everyone has the same chance to learn, trade, develop and prosper. A world in which no matter where you are, you can realise your ambitions.
At Avanti, with our world leading satellite technology, our highly creative, determined and resourceful ‘can-do’ culture, and our commitment to deliver last mile connectivity no matter how difficult the challenge, we ensure that even those in the remotest of locations can be connected to a world of opportunity.
Avanti ignites opportunity and our aim is to help bring stability and security to every part of the world, to help empower everyone with the same health and education and to enable every business to reach its full potential, no matter where they are. Opportunity leads to freedom, equality and hope; it also leads to growth and prosperity. We see ourselves as the catalyst for change, inspiring new opportunities that create better futures.
‘Be more’ is our unique point of view on the world. It’s how we believe that everyone has within them the potential to achieve their ambitions, and our determination to create the opportunities that enable it to happen. It reflects how we always focus on the difference we can make on the ground, not just the connectivity we deliver.
AFTER ALL, IT’S NOT THE CONNECTIVITY THAT MATTERS; IT’S WHAT IT ENABLES PEOPLE TO DO THAT COUNTS.
A hands on role that requires an emphasis on design and development by integrating diverse network management systems into Avanti’s Business & Operational Support Systems ensuring ease-of-use, security, and scalability, and responding to internal development requests. Also, require leading and managing a group (6) of engineers, reviewing their performance, and helping develop their careers providing tailored mentoring programs.
- Partner with Solutions engineering, product development, network engineering, site reliability operations, and other related groups
- Provide technical leadership and architecture guidance for the overall enterprise architecture that covers vendor platforms, networks, different proprietary systems and applications
- Control the conformity of solutions to architecture standards, rules and roadmap.
- Lead multiple sub teams of three to four engineers, organise meetings with technical departments and key stakeholders
- Be a subject matter expert for internal OSS and Avanti Built BSS applications as well as modern technologies used in distributed web applications, B2B integrations, automation tools and data management.
- Understand capacity plans, tooling needs, automation plans, product launch plans, and other issues and create comprehensive plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges
- Coach others, participate in knowledge transfer, assess employee performance frequently, address under-performance, and recognise and promote performance
- Balance between tasks related to “keep things running” and medium to long term “impact projects”
Skills & Qualifications
- BS or MS in Computer science or equivalent experience
- Numerous years of experience in leading engineering teams in a technology company
- Experience as a software engineer at various levels
- Proven project management and service ownership experience
- Advanced experience in software development methodologies and DevOps best practises
- A polyglot with experience in PHP using Symfony framework
- Ability to rapidly learn new software languages, frameworks and APIs quickly
- Expertise in some of the technologies like Apache, MySQL, ElasticSearch, MongoDB, Redis etc.
- Application of agile methods & TDD/BDD
- Sharp and tenacious troubleshooting skills: you can fix anything
- Design and use of latest Web technologies including event sourcing, Docker, Jenkins and Git
- Deep experience of designing scalable web software architecture like SOA and Micro service architecture
- Ability to determine specific requirements from possibly vague descriptions of requirements
- Ability to quickly re-prioritize tasks based on urgent requirements
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Experience of liaising with external suppliers
- Past experience as a software architect, designing large-scale, highly scalable, highly available web applications using appropriate technology stacks
- Very good verbal and written English
- Familiarity with common applications such as memcached, NFS, DHCP, NTP, SSH, DNS, and SNMP
- Familiarity with cloud technologies like AWS tools
- Past experience in migrating applications from on premise to cloud based infrastructure
- Experience in using multiple languages like Python, Java (Spring), Typescript etc. is desirable
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.